Cycle Right Adults
Cycle Right is the national standard for cycle training. It provides practical cycle and safety skills training to promote confident and competent cyclists. The Cycle Right programme is uniquely suited to the Irish environment, taking account of rural, suburban and urban conditions that are regularly encountered in close proximity.
Participants will learn essential road safety and competency skills such as negotiating roundabouts, traffic lights, traffic signage, travelling at appropriate speeds for the road surfaces and conditions, moving between major and minor roads, meeting pedestrians/animals/vehicles,etc.
This is a 6 hour programme which is divided into stage 2 and stage 3. At stage 2 participants take an active role with regard to decision-making on the journey in a trainer-facilitated format.
* Journeys in a more complex environment
* Higher traffic volumes
* Ranges of speeds
* Road positioning to best protect cyclists
* More complex (two-lane) roundabouts and how to approach them
* Traffic-light controlled junctions
* Changing position within a group of cyclists
* Hazards – what to expect and how to handle them
At stage 3 the participants take the lead role on the journey, planning the route and making active decisions with regard to positioning and interaction with traffic, in a complex environment with the trainer in an accompanying role.
* Planning a journey and what to consider:
– Maps, GPS
– Local knowledge
– The best route to cycle
* Journeys in challenging environments:
– High traffic volumes
– Moving through stopped and slow moving traffic
– Complex junctions including complex, multi-laned roundabouts
– Defensive positioning for cyclists
– Cycling in a group in a complex traffic environment
– Large vehicles and how to cycle near them
– Anticipating hazards and other problems on the road and taking appropriate action